We know that talking to your children about relationships and sex can be difficult and, let's face it, a bit embarrassing.
We created the Speakeasy course to offer a relaxed and informal way for mums, dads and carers to get the confidence and knowledge you need to face those tricky talks and awkward questions.
How can I join a Speakeasy course?
Speakeasy courses are organised locally across the UK through parent support services in primary schools, children's centres and other settings.
Although FPA trains professionals across the UK to deliver Speakeasy, we don't currently run courses for parents ourselves and we don't have a list of local courses.
For training information and costs, call Speakeasy Trainer, Lizzie Boyle on 07952 243 805 or contact Vivien Hanney, Teenage Pregnancy Coordinator on 020 8489 5054
The course is usually free of charge. Venues and course times are decided locally. Where possible crèche facilities are provided.
A course usually lasts for eight weeks, with one session per week.
How will the course help me?
It will help you gain the confidence and knowledge to talk to your child about growing up.
By the end of the course you will:
- Be able to talk positively about relationships and sex with your child according to their age and level of understanding.
- Feel comfortable taking on the role of 'sex and relationships educator' at home.
- Understand the changes children go through during puberty.
- Understand how to help children deal with pressure from media and advertising.
- Have up-to-date information on contraception and sexually transmitted infections.
- Know more about the relationships and sex education that is taught in schools.
- Be ready to answer the questions your child is bound to have.
If there's a particular concern you have, or an area you want to discuss, let your course leader know – they may be able to adapt course content accordingly.
|Price:||Free of charge|
|Delivery cost:||Not Specified|
|Total price:||Free of charge|